Creating a Corporation in New Jersey | What to Know
Creating a corporation can feel overwhelming. But, knowing what to expect and working with an experienced attorney can make the process easier. Read on to learn more about creating a corporation in New Jersey.
What is a Corporation?
A corporation is an organization that has been authorized by the state to act as a single entity with an intended purpose.
How do I Create a Corporation?
Once you have decided you want to create a corporation, there are a number of steps you will have to take. Some of the tasks to complete include:
- Creating a business name
- Appointing the initial directors of your corporation
- Filing formal paperwork, usually known as “articles of incorporation”
- Creating corporate bylaws to lay out the operating rules for your corporation
- Holding the first meeting of the board of directors
- Issuing stock certificates to the initial owners
- Obtaining any licenses and permits that are necessary
How do I Pick a Name?
Choosing a name is one of the first steps when it comes to creating a corporation. When it comes to choosing the name of your corporation, there are some specific requirements your name must meet:
- Does not contain any word, phrase, or abbreviation that indicates or implies that it is organized for any purpose other than one or more purposes permitted by its certificate of incorporation
- Does not have the same or similar name to the corporate name of any domestic corporation
- Does not contain a word, phrase, or abbreviated that is prohibited or restricted by any other statute in New Jersey
- Shall contain one of the following: “a New Jersey nonprofit corporation,” “incorporated,” “corporation,” “inc.,” or “corp” unless it is a corporation which could organize pursuant to the provisions of Title 16 of the Revised Statutes
If you are interested in creating a corporation, our firm is here to help. We understand the process can be stressful, but we will walk you through the process every step of the way.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC has over 25 years of experience helping clients through tough times when they need it most. If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, our firm is here to help. It is critical that you pick the right attorney who can protect your rights. Contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.