If you are a driver, you may have heard of SR-22 insurance. While many people think this is a type of insurance, it is actually a document provided by your insurance company that proves you have liability coverage on your car insurance policy. Read on to learn more about SR-22 documents and what you need to know.
How Do I Know if I Need an SR-22?
Not every driver will need an SR-22. Generally, drivers will only need their insurance companies to file an SR-22 form with the state department under the following circumstances:
- Conviction for driving under the influence or driving while intoxicated
- Serious and/or repeat traffic offenses
- An at-fault accident with no insurance
- License suspension or revocation
How Long Do I Need an SR-22?
You may need to have an SR-22 for a certain period of time. This amount of time varies based on your state, your compliance, and more:
- You will most likely need to have an SR-22 showing continuous insurance coverage for three years.
- If your policy lapses or expires during this period, your insurance company is required to notify the state.
- Failure to comply with the terms of your SR-22 may result in the suspension of your license.
- Once you properly fulfill your state’s time requirements, your SR-22 status is typically lifted.
Do I Need an SR-22 If I Don’t Own a Car?
Surprisingly, if you don’t own a car, you may still be required to have an SR-22 certificate and an SR-22 auto insurance policy. This is because if you drive a borrowed car or rent a car and get into an accident, you could still be held liable for personal injury or property damage claims.
If you are required to get an SR-22, you should reach out to an experienced traffic violations attorney for more information. Our firm is here to address all of your questions and concerns. Do not hesitate to contact us.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC has over 25 years of experience helping clients through tough times when they need it most. If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, our firm is here to help. It is critical that you pick the right attorney who can protect your rights. Contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.