Have you ever been driving and suddenly realized that you didn’t have your wallet on you? When this happens, many people panic and worry that they can get in trouble if they are pulled over without a license. The truth is, there are different types of unlicensed drivers. Each situation carries vastly different penalties. Read on to learn more about driving without a license in New Jersey.
Different Types of Unlicensed Drivers
The three types of unlicensed drivers include:
- License not in possession: occurs when you have a valid license but it is not currently on your person
- Driving without a valid license: occurs when you have never been issued a valid license
- Driving with a suspended or revoked license: occurs when you have a license that has been suspended or revoked
Penalties of Each Violation
If you are pulled over and found driving without a license, you may face the following penalties:
- License not in possession: If you are found driving without a license but can prove that you do have a valid driver’s license, you may have to pay a small fine. This violation carries a $150 penalty.
- Driving without a valid license: In this case, you may face fines of $200 to $500 and up to 60 days in jail. If convicted, you will also be prohibited from obtaining a driver’s license for at least 180 days.
- Driving with a suspended license: If this is your first violation, you will face a $500 charge. If you are caught for a second time, you will face a $750 fine and one.
If you are facing penalties for driving without a license, you will likely need the assistance of an experienced traffic violations attorney. Reach out today to speak with a skilled and dedicated attorney.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC has over 25 years of experience helping clients through tough times when they need it most. If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, our firm is here to help. It is critical that you pick the right attorney who can protect your rights. Contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.