Forming a Corporation in New Jersey | What to Know
A corporation is an organization that has been authorized by the state to act as a single entity with a deliberate purpose. If you are interested in forming a corporation in New Jersey, it is important to understand the process and know what to expect going forward. Read on to learn more about forming a corporation.
What to know about creating a corporation
After you make the decision to start a corporation, there are several different steps you will have to take. Some of the tasks to complete include the following:
- Forming a business name
- Selecting the initial directors of your corporation
- Filing formal paperwork, usually known as “articles of incorporation”
- Creating corporate bylaws to lay out the operating rules for your corporation
- Holding the first meeting of the board of directors
- Administering stock certificates to the initial owners
- Acquiring any licenses and permits that are necessary
What to know about choosing a name
One of the most important aspects of starting a corporation is choosing a name. However, there are a number of guidelines to follow when it comes to this process. When picking a name, be sure to adhere to the following guidelines. The name:
- Does not contain any word, phrase, or abbreviation that means or implies that it is organized for any purpose other than one or more purposes permitted by its certificate of incorporation
- Does not have the same or similar name to the corporate name of any domestic corporation
- Does not contain a word, phrase, or abbreviated that is prohibited or restricted by any other statute in New Jersey
- Shall contain one of the following: “a New Jersey nonprofit corporation,” “incorporated,” “corporation,” “inc.,” or “corp” unless it is a corporation that could organize pursuant to the provisions of
- Title 16 of the Revised Statutes
If you have any questions or concerns about starting a corporation in New Jersey, our firm is here to help. We will walk you through the process each step of the way. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can get started on your goals.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC has over 25 years of experience helping clients through tough times when they need it most. If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, our firm is here to help. It is critical that you pick the right attorney who can protect your rights. Contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.