Cell Phone Violations in New Jersey | What to Know
If you are pulled over for using your cell phone, you can face high fines and points on your license. Read on to learn more about what constitutes a cell phone violation and what to do if you receive a ticket.
What Constitutes a Cell Phone Violation?
Using your phone while driving puts yourself, your passengers, other drivers, and pedestrians at risk. Distracted driving is incredibly dangerous, and there are few things more distracting than a cell phone. As a result, cell phone violations are taken very seriously in New Jersey.
Some of the actions that are considered to be cell phone violations in New Jersey include:
- Talking on a handheld mobile phone rather than using a handsfree device
- Writing, sending, reading, or receiving any data.
- This can include text messages, emails, or using social media.
- Searching the internet
- Watching or taking any pictures or videos
- Playing games
What are the Penalties of a Cell Phone Violation in New Jersey?
A cell phone penalty can be very expensive, especially if you are pulled over multiple times for the same offense. The more times you are pulled over for a cell phone violation, the higher your fine will be. Below are the potential fines you may face for a cell phone violation:
- First offense- Fine between $200 and $400
- Second offense- Fine between $400 and $600
- Third or subsequent offense- $600 and $800, 3-points to your driving record
- This may also impact your insurance premiums and in some cases, your license can be revoked.
If you receive a ticket for a cell phone violation, you may need the help of an experienced traffic violations attorney. A skilled attorney may be able to help reduce the fines and points you receive. Contact our firm today to speak with a dedicated attorney. We are here to advocate for you each step of the way.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC has over 25 years of experience helping clients through tough times when they need it most. If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, our firm is here to help. It is critical that you pick the right attorney who can protect your rights. Contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.