Intellectual Property Rights in New Jersey | What You Should Know
For more information on intellectual property rights in New Jersey, please read on, then contact an experienced Bergen County, NJ intellectual property attorney to learn what you should know.
What are the different types of intellectual property rights and how do you protect them in New Jersey?
The types of intellectual property rights available, and the protections they offer, are as follows:
- Copyright: Individuals who have published or unpublished works may obtain this form of protection. A copyright holder has the right to print, publish, perform, film or record their intellectual property.
- Patent: An agreement between a creator and the government, patent contracts grant individuals property rights to an IP for 20 years from the date of filing the application. As outlined in previous blogs, the idea must be unique, novel, useful and not obvious to a layperson. Patents come in three varieties: utility, design and plant patents.
- Trademark: Legally registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, trademarks are protected symbols, words or phrases used to represent a company or a product. Trademarks prevent others from using them without express permission.
- Licensing agreement: This form of protection gives the legal owner of a concept the power to permit others to use, market, manufacture, distribute or sell the owner’s work, so long as they adhere to the agreement.
- Trade secret: Necessary to protect a company’s best interests, trade secrets must be private, of commercial value due to their secrecy and subject to an owner’s extensive efforts to remain secret.
If you have questions about any of the above-listed intellectual property rights, you should reach out to Richard E. Novak, Esq. to learn more.
How can a New Jersey intellectual property rights attorney help you?
A skilled IP rights attorney can help you understand your rights and responsibilities regarding the safeguarding of your works. He will explain what constitutes intellectual property, how you can preserve your rights, devise means to keep your business ideas and trade secrets private, help document your concepts and original content in detail, assist in applying for protections and register all of your IP, trade secrets and creative works. Business is a cutthroat field, so let our firm help secure your best interests. Please give us a call today.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC has over 25 years of experience helping clients through tough times when they need it most. If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, our firm is here to help. It is critical that you pick the right attorney who can protect your rights. Contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.