Driving Without a License in New Jersey | What to Know
Driving without a license can be an honest mistake, but it can also result in serious consequences. Read on to learn more about the consequences of driving without a license in New Jersey.
Types of driving without a license
There are three main types of driving without a license.
- License not in possession: This occurs when you have a valid driver’s license but do not have it on your person while driving. If you are found driving without a license but can prove that you do have a valid driver’s license, you may have to pay a small fine. This violation carries a $150 penalty.
- Driving without a valid license: If your license is expired, you can find yourself in expensive trouble. In this case, you may face fines of $200 to $500 and up to 60 days in jail. If convicted, you will also be prohibited from obtaining a driver’s license for at least 180 days.
- Driving with a suspended license: This carries heavy consequences. If your license has been suspended, continuing to drive goes against court orders. Additionally, if your license has been suspended, there is a reason for it. As a result, you are putting yourself and others in danger by continuing to drive.
What are the consequences of driving with a suspended license?
Driving with a suspended license can result in heavy fines. If you are caught driving with a suspended license, you may face the following:
- First offense: $500 fine, additional license suspension not to exceed 6 months
- Second offense: $750 fine, additional license suspension not to exceed 6 months, imprisonment up to 5 days
- Third and subsequent offense: $1000 fine, additional license suspension not to exceed 6 months, imprisonment for 10 days
If you are facing penalties for driving without a license, it is important to reach out to a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Even in the best cases, this can result in expensive fines. An attorney will work to reduce these fines or even have them dropped. Contact our firm today to discuss your case. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your case.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC has over 25 years of experience helping clients through tough times when they need it most. If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, our firm is here to help. It is critical that you pick the right attorney who can protect your rights. Contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.