Drug DUIs in New Jersey | What You Need to Know
Many people think that driving under the influence of prescription medications or marijuana is not a big deal. However, New Jersey takes drug DUIs very seriously. Read on to learn more about the consequences of driving under the influence of drugs in New Jersey.
What are the consequences of a first-offense drug DUI?
It is important to understand that drug DUI charges are tiered. This means that your penalties will increase each time you repeat the offense. If it is only your first offense, you will still face harsh consequences, including:
- Up to 30 days of jail time
- 7 to 12-month-long license suspension
- $1,000 surcharge every year for 3 years
- $100 fee for the Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund
- $100 Drunk Driving Fund fee
- $75 Neighborhood Services Fund fee
- $300-$500 fine
- 12-48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center and applicable fees
- Potential installation and use of an ignition interlock device
What are the penalties for a second-offense drug DUI?
If you receive a second DUI, you will be seen as a repeat offender and your charges will increase:
- $500-$1000 fine
- Between 48 hours and 90 days of jail time
- 30 days of mandatory community service, though if the offense took place in a school zone, 60 days of mandatory community service
- 2-year license suspension
- Mandatory installation and use of an ignition interlock device for up to 3 years after license restoration
- Additional fees and fines
What happens if I get a third or subsequent drug DUI offense?
A third DUI offense will be taken very seriously and can result in life-changing consequences, including:
- $1000 fine
- Up to 180 days in jail
- 10-year license suspension
- Additional fines and fees
- Mandatory participation in the Intoxicated Drivers Resource Center
- Mandatory installation and use of an Ignition Interlock Device
If you are facing charges for a DUI offense, you will need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. A skilled attorney will work to have your charges reduced or even dropped. Contact our firm today, as time is of the essence. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your case.
Contact our Firm
If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.