What Happens if you are Caught Driving Without a License in New Jersey?
Almost everybody knows driving without a license is illegal, though still, so many people get caught doing it. If you are caught operating a motor vehicle with a revoked or suspended license, you may end up facing serious penalties. This is why it is important you contact an experienced attorney if you find yourself in this situation.
Though the term “driving without a license” is a rather vague term and may describe a wide array of offenses, New Jersey does its best to clarify that statement. Here are the potential penalties if you are caught driving with a suspended license in New Jersey:
- If it is your first offense, you will receive a $500 fine and an additional license suspension for up to 6 months.
- If it is your second offense, you will receive a $750 fine, an additional license suspension for up to six months, and you may also face imprisonment for up to 5 days.
- If it is your third and subsequent offense, you will receive a $1000 fine, an additional license suspension for up to 6 months, and you may face imprisonment for up to 10 days.
While these penalties are strict, they may be even more severe if another party was injured while you were driving with a suspended license. If another party was injured, you may face imprisonment from anywhere between 45 and 180 days. Even harsher, if you kill someone while driving with a suspended license, you may be charged with a crime of the third degree. If you are charged with the offense for any of the following reasons, you may find yourself in serious trouble and should contact an attorney immediately:
- Refusal to submit a chemical test
- Driving without insurance
- Conviction for a DUI
- You are a habitual offender
Contact our experienced New Jersey law firm
Driving without a license is one of the most serious traffic tickets you could receive. It is for this reason that you should not wait to contact an attorney who will vigorously fight for your rights. It is important that you do not try and fight this battle alone, as the ramifications for this offense may be extremely harsh, with potentially far-reaching effects. If you contact the Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, we will provide the strong defense and support in the courtroom that you deserve.
The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC has over 25 years of experience helping clients through tough times when they need it most. If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, our firm is here to help. It is critical that you pick the right attorney who can protect your rights. Contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.