What is a High BAC Charge in New Jersey?
All DUI charges in the state of New Jersey are taken very seriously. While this is true, High BAC DUI charges are much worse and are treated as such. A driver can be charged with a High BAC DUI if their blood alcohol concentration was .10% or higher. When facing these charges, it is crucial to retain the services of an experienced DUI defense attorney to help with your case.
What are the Consequences of a High BAC DUI in New Jersey?
When a person is charged with a DUI, they can face serious consequences. If they are facing a High BAC DUI, these charges can worsen significantly. They have the potential to follow a person for the rest of their life. Consequences they may face can include:
- Up to 30 days of incarceration
- A license suspension of up to 12 months
- $100 to the Drunk Driving Fund
- $75 to the Neighborhood Services Fund
- Up to 48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- The mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device during the license suspension and up to 12 months after its restoration
- A fine between $300 and $500
- $100 to the Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund
DUI Defenses in New Jersey
There are some cases in which a skilled attorney can have an offender’s charges mitigated or even dropped. This may be possible with the following defenses:
- Unlawful stop: Officers who stop a driver must have probable cause. If they did not, it may be considered an unlawful stop. This can cause the evidence they have against you to be thrown out of court.
- Field sobriety tests: Police officers often conduct field sobriety tests to determine if a driver is under the influence. However, if the tests were improperly administered, you may have a defense against the charges.
- A breath test: Officers generally cannot administer breath tests immediately. They are required to conduct an assessment of the driver’s condition for at least 20 minutes beforehand. If they do not, you may have a defense against your charge.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC has over 25 years of experience helping clients through tough times when they need it most. If you need assistance with any intellectual property, traffic violations, or business law matters, our firm is here to help. It is critical that you pick the right attorney who can protect your rights. Contact The Law Offices of Richard E. Novak, LLC for a consultation.